Brgy. Ginebra head coach Tim Cone is fully aware of Greg Slaughter’s arrival in the country after being away for the past 9 months.
The 32-year old Fil-Am left for the US shortly after the Gin Kings reclaimed the Governors’ Cup crown last season and was reportedly looking to try his luck in the NBA G-League.
He recently signed with BeoBasket and was evidently intent on pursuing a career abroad.
In a surprising move, Slaughter on Tuesday posted a photo of himself on Instagram and wrote, “It’s good to be back home!”
Cone, along with team management, is hoping that Slaughter’s return is an indication of his willingness to return to the PBA and to the league’s most popular squad.
“We’re very much aware and I’ve been in contact with him,” said Cone.
The former Ateneo big man, however, won’t be eligible to play for the Gin Kings in the upcoming 2020 Philippine Cup restart since the rosters have already been finalized last week. It is also uncertain if he has already accepted the team’s offer which, according to team governor Alfrancis Chua, was submitted to the PBA office just days before his departure.
“Sayang, he won’t be able to join us in the bubble,” said Cone.
When asked if Slaughter has already come to terms with management on a new deal, the league’s winningest mentor refused to comment and said that’s out of his jurisdiction.
“That’s between him and management. I really cannot comment on that.”
The Gin Kings kick-off their All-Filipino campaign against the NLEX Road Warriors on Sunday, October 11 at the Angeles University Foundation gym in Angeles, Pampanga.